"Years ago, when the phrase "Global Warming" began gaining popularity, we started batting around the idea of replacing asphalt and concrete surfaces with solar panels that could be driven upon. We thought of the "black box" on airplanes: We didn't know what material that black box was made of, but it seemed to be able to protect sensitive electronics from the worst of airline crashes._
Suppose we made a section of road out of this material and housed solar cells to collect energy, which could pay for the cost of the panel, thereby creating a road that would pay for itself over time. What if we added LEDs to "paint" the road lines from beneath, lighting up the road for safer night time driving? What if we added a heating element in the surface (like the defrosting wire in the rear window of our cars) to prevent snow/ice accumulation in northern climates? The ideas and possibilities just continued to roll in and the Solar Roadway project was born."
Imagine the public safety impact this could have! Comments welcome below...
- 5 Biggest Mistakes New Officers Make and How to Avoid Them - FirefighterToolbox.com
- "No Time For Vogue" 16x20" artist proofs by ILlustrator Paula Combs - Drawn By Fire
- Mystery Woman Foots The Bill For Firefighters Shopping For Memorial Day BBQ – opposingviews.com
- Police Officer Jumps Into Swift Moving River To Save 9 Year Old Girl – foxbaltimore.com
- Woman rescued from Skinner State Park in Hadley – MassLIVE.com
- Vacaville firefighters keep Memorial Day spirit alive with dinner fundraiser – thereporter.com
- 7 Reasons Fire Trucks Catch Fire – FireRescue1.com
- Here Are 3 Text Messages That Never Should Have Been Sent – UpWorthy.com
- State police assisting in Hanscom plane crash investigation – MassLIVE.com
- Students on School Bus Speak Out After Terrifying Crash – ABC40 WGGB-TV
- POLICE DRONES NOW BEING USED TO FIGHT CRIME – BladeBrownShow.com
- Arson suspected in torching of trailer filled with tires behind Boston Road business – MassLIVE.com