Storm roughs up Franklin County
By Recorder/David Rainville - Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Thousands found themselves without power Wednesday as an electrical storm moved across the county in waves.
“There was a microburst in the northeast end of our town,” said Northfield Fire Chief Floyd “Skip” Dunnell.
The phenomenon, caused by an intense downdraft of air, was centered around the former Northfield Mount Hermon School campus. The chief said several utility poles on Pierson Road and one on Highland Avenue were snapped during the storm. A house at the corner of Highland Avenue and Pine Street was struck by a falling tree, causing damage to the edge of its roof.
Dunnell said he was not aware of any injuries associated with the storm. Firefighters and the Highway Department worked with the Western Massachusetts Electric Co. to reopen roads.
- 3,800 still without power following storm; lightning sets Pelham house on fire -MassLIVE.com
- Wild Weather Rocks Western Mass, New England - WGGB.com
- 7 firefighters injured in VT lightning strike - Burlington Free Press
- Guilford VT Fire Sends 7 Firefighters To Hospital For Lightning Strike - Guilford Fire Department
- Video of deadly motel fire in Point Pleasant Beach released by authorities - NJ.com
- Woman charged with arson for setting fire to kill spider - FireRescue1.com
- Michigan teen left with airbag imprinted on eyes after it deployed faster than she could close them - NY Daily News
- One of the Greatest Firefighter Cold Water Challenge Videos…Ever! - The Fire Critic
- Truck Carrying $100,000 Of Lobster Slams Into Westwood Bridge; Driver Charged - CBS Boston
- Trucker confronts cop for bad driving - CNN.com
- Body found in Connecticut River identified as Rebecca Streeter of Greenfield - MassLIVE.com
- American flag flown over WTC ruins stolen from FDNY fallen firefighter’s family - STATter911.com
- 11 Injured in Philadelphia Food Truck Explosion - FirefighterNation.com
- Springfield firefighters, police respond to report of a box car fire - MassLIVE.com
Hurricane Arthur Heads for North Carolina; Fourth of July Holiday Threatened - Weather.com
Information current as of July 3, 2014, 8:24AM EDT
Hurricane Arthur Facts:
- Hurricane warning extends south from the Virginia/North Carolina border to Surf City, North Carolina, including the Outer Banks.
- Hurricane watch continues south of Surf City to Little River Inlet (N.C./S.C. border).
- Tropical storm warning is in effect for coastal and parts of eastern North Carolina, northeast South Carolina and southeast Virginia, including Wilmington, Myrtle Beach and Virginia Beach.
- Peak impact in the Carolinas/southeast Virginia will be later tonight into Friday.
- 4th of July, 2014: Travel tips, traffic cams, latest on Hurricane Arthur and more - MassLIVE.com
- Hurricane Arthur Summary - Weather.com
- National Hurricane Center - National Weather Service (NWS)
- 72-Year-Old Woman Was Injured When Her Dell Laptop Suddenly Exploded - BusinessInsider.com
- ‘Slender Man’ stabbing suspect mentally incompetent, doctor says - BostonGlobe.com
- Why urban myths like Slenderman have become more deadly - Reuters.com
- Woman reunites with firefighter who saved her from drowning - Dispatch.com
- Twitter:" Just flew over TS #Arthur – hoping it heads to sea. Looks mean." - Reid Wiseman
- Northampton switches emergency notification systems - MassLIVE.com
- Agawam, Amherst and Belchertown named among the safest communities in Massachusetts - MassLIVE.com
- Storm King +20: Remembering a lost son - KTVX.com