Weather Channel – Tropical Storm Bertha formed late Thursday night, about 275 miles east-southeast of Barbados and is now tracking quickly toward the Windward Islands.
- Tropical Storm Bertha to affect Windward Islands Friday, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands Saturday.
- Bertha expected to then track through the Dominican Republic and southeast Bahamas Saturday night into Sunday.
- Bertha threats: Heavy rain/flash flooding, some strong wind gusts, rip currents.
- U.S. threat appears unlikely, but can't be completely ruled out yet.
Boston Herald – Fire companies from across the city flooded an East Boston neighborhood near Maverick Square where they successfully battled a six-alarm fire that devoured two wood-frame residential buildings.
| || || |
- Center lights the way for Air Force wildland fire management - US Air Force Civil Engineer Center
- 9 Western Mass firefighters among statewide crew of 20 sent by DCR to battle wildfires in WA state - MassLIVE
- Several Injured as Storm Hits Virginia Campground - JEMS
- Westfield man accused of setting food truck on fire - CBS3 Springfield
- Wildfire Officials Say Drone Interfered with Air Attacks - Firehouse
- Firefighter Dies in Fall During Western Wildfire - FirefighterNation
- 2 firefighters tased, 3 fire officers disciplined - FireRescue1
- Window Washers Dress Up Like Superheroes To Surprise Kids At New York City Hospital - Huffington Post
- Spider-Man Who Repeatedly Punched Cop in Times Square Can't Afford $3,500 Bail - E Online
- Axe flies through car windshield on highway; Massachusetts State Police caution drivers to secure cargo - MassLIVE
- Toddler Crashes Jeep, Runs Home to Watch Cartoons - NBC New York
- Pa. man caught using emergency light to beat traffic - EMS1
- Ship Found 20 Feet Below World Trade Center Site Traced to Colonial-Era Philadelphia - NBC New York
- Creepy dolls resembling young girls left outside California homes - WCVB
- UN Official Chris Gunness Breaks Down On Air After School Bombing - Huffington Post
- 10 most dangerous jobs in the US: It’s not police officers & firefighters who have the most risky career path - Finances Online
CDC and WHO are trying to contain the outbreak in West Africa and are ready if it hits the U.S., where one case has been confirmed.
U.S. News – The risk of an Ebola outbreak in the U.S. is unlikely, but health officials say they are responding anyway, sending advisories to hospitals, preparing to quarantine those who may have been infected, discouraging travel to certain countries and pouring funds into West Africa to contain the outbreak.
- High alert for Ebola needed in Hong Kong, health minister says after emergency meeting - South China Morning Post
- Sierra Leone Declares Emergency as Ebola Deaths Top 700 - ABC News
- Peace Corps, Aid Groups Evacuate Personnel From Ebola-Hit West Africa - Wall Street Journal
- Ebola outbreak: fight against disease hampered by belief in witchcraft, warns British doctor - The Telegraph
- American Doctor Who Contracted Ebola in Liberia in Grave Condition - The Weather Channel
- Ebola crisis: WHO to announce $100m emergency response - BBC
- Flight en route to Liberia to evacuate Americans infected with Ebola - CNN Health
- Ebola Outbreak 'Not in the Cards' for U.S., CDC Director Says - NBC News
- What is Ebola Virus + Outbreak Status - Radio Chatter