ASSOCIATED PRESS – A storm system that wreaked havoc across the eastern half of the U.S. spawned a rather rare tornado just north of Boston on Monday, ripping roofs off homes, uprooting dozens of large trees and forcing businesses to close. The tornado, a rarity in Massachusetts and virtually unheard of in the Boston area, touched down in Revere, a coastal city of nearly 52,000.
- VIDEO: Tornado Revere, MA - July 28, 2014 - Olga Charnahalava
- VIDEO: Tornado Revere, MA - bromabrownieco
- VIDEO: Boston area hit by violent storm - Top News
- PHOTOS: Revere Tornado - MassLIVE.com
- PHOTOS: Revere Tornado - Herald News
- Revere tornado an EF2 with winds up to 120 mph - Boston Herald
- 100 homes damaged as tornado jolts Revere - Boston Globe
- Massive cleanup effort begins after EF2 tornado pummels Revere - WCVB.com
FIREGROUND360° – It's been an intense summer for severe weather and although the Boston area received most of the media spotlight with the Revere EF2 tornado, Western Mass saw it's share of storms and damage. FIREGROUND360° posted multiple incidents of trees, wires and poles down, structure fires due to lightning strikes, a tree on a home, power outages, and people trapped in the cars due to flooding and power lines down.
The photos of yesterday's storm were sent in to us by Nancy Williams. Driving from Athol to Orange she reported ominous cloud cover, flooded streets, and dangerous cloud to ground lightning.
- Dalton declares state of emergency as thunderstorm leaves thousands without power - Berkshire Eagle
- Agawam Tree On Home & Storm Damage - MassLIVE.com
- One Displaced by Thrasher Road House Fire in Worthington - WGGB.com
- Tree-removal crew trapped when large tree, electrical wires fall on their truck in Deerfield - MassLIVE.com
ABC News – A rare lightning storm struck packed Venice Beach, Calif., Sunday, killing a 20-year-old man and injuring up to 12 others, one critically, after the same storm had struck a person on Catalina Island. Firefighters said a bolt of lightning hit the water and the electrical current then traveled, hitting swimmers and surfers. "The fire department assessed a total of 13 patients, and transported a total of eight patients," Los Angeles Fire Department spokeswoman Katherine Main said. Five others were injured, but did not require hospitalization, she said. She said it appears to have been just one powerful lightning strike that hit the shoreline. "Everyone that had a medical complaint was either in or near the water," Main said.
- Photos: Demo Entrapment | The three-day run of Yankee Doodle Days ends in Charlemont - MassLIVE.com
- Fire chief: 'We lost everything' in firehouse blaze - FireRescue1.com
- Dozens Treated for Illness at Keith Urban Concert - JEMS.com
- State Fire Marshal: Lightning strike caused blaze that destroyed home of restaurant owner Claudio Guerra - MassLIVE.com
- 10-year-old honorary firefighter dies of cancer - FireRescue1.com
- 2 arrested for stealing Jaws from Texas fire engine - FireRescue1.com
- Child’s deathbed thoughts focused on helping others - KIROTV.com
- Ailing firefighter gets 340 T-shirts from comrades - FireRescue1.com
- PHOTOS: Washington wildfires wreak havoc - KIROTV.com
- Arsonist sets himself on fire while attempting to ignite a blaze - MyNews13.com
- Resource: InciWeb - InciWeb