Please share this with your members, especially with the cold weather upon us...
DO NOT LEAVE SPACE HEATERS RUNNING WHILE UNATTENDED. This morning I could have quickly lost everything I care about.
The space heater in the photos below was used on my three season porch and had been running for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. My dog and best girl stays there while I get ready for work. I saw she had looked at it, went over to sniff it, and walked away... although I thought it strange, I saw no reason for much concern.
Shortly after, the porch was full of black smoke and then I saw the flames. I immediately took the burning space heater outside to the non-flammable concrete pavers, returning quickly inside to disconnect the half melted cord. And, as you can see, just one more minute could have been very costly considering the cardboard boxes and goods nearby.
A house fire has been an EXTREME fear for me since the birth of my children. Today, I faced this fear. I can't tell you how THANKFUL I am to know my home, children and four-legged babies are all safe!
Thank you in advance!
Anonymous FIREGROUND360° Member"
Sixty space heater fires were reported to the Office of the State Fire Marshal between 2009 and 2013. While these fires are not frequent, they are deadly. One of every 20 space heater fires causes a fatality. These fires caused 14 civilian injuries, 9 fire service injuries, and an estimated dollar loss of $3.2 million. The average dollar loss for a space heater fire is $53,336. Twenty-five percent (25%) of these fires were caused when combustible materials such as bedding, magazines, newspapers, clothing or furniture were too close to the heater, and another 3% were caused when rugs, carpets or mats were under or too close to the heater.
If you must use a space heater, use it as safely as possible
On March 18, 2011, the Ware Fire Department was called to a heating fire in a 13-unit apartment building. The fire was caused by combustibles and bedding being placed too close to a space heater in a third floor apartment's living room.
- When buying a heater, look for one that has been tested and labeled by a nationally recognized testing company, such as Underwriter’s Laboratories Inc. (UL).
- Keep the heater 3 feet away from drapes, furniture or other flammable materials.
- Place the heater on a level surface away from areas where someone might bump into it and knock it over.
- Avoid using extension cords. If you must use an extension cord, make sure it is a heavy duty cord marked with a power rating at least as high as that on the label of the heater itself.
- Space heaters are for temporary use only. Never leave a space heater unattended or running while you sleep.
- Supervise children and pets when a space heater is in use.
- Keep electric heaters away from water. Never use them near a sink or in the bathroom.
- The sale and use of unvented kerosene heaters is illegal in Massachusetts.
Reference: Mass.gov, FIREGROUND360°