BostonGlobe.com | REVERE, MA - When the call came in before dawn Friday for a house fire on Reservoir Avenue, the dispatcher did not give the address of Chris Bright’s childhood home.
But something told the deputy fire chief that it was his family’s longtime residence that was being consumed by flames.
“I kind of had a feeling it was going to be 79 [Reservoir]. I don’t know why. I just had a bad feeling,” Bright recalled.
Bright knew where to find his two uncles who shared the family home, but he was unable to reach both of them in time. Bright rescued his uncle Bobby Toomey. His uncle Dennis Toomey was later found dead amid the burned rubble.
Revere Fire Chief Gene Doherty said firefighters were hampered in battling the blaze because nearby fire hydrants were either frozen or unreachable.
One hydrant near 183 Reservoir Ave. was blocked by a truck, and another nearby had been buried in snow from a plow, he said. Two other hydrants, one located on Reservoir Avenue and the other at a nearby intersection, had frozen in the predawn chill, Doherty said.
Firefighters were forced to draw water from a hydrant located about a quarter of a mile away, he said. Doherty said he did not believe the inability to use closer hydrants caused the death but said it made it more difficult for firefighters to control the blaze. read more...
- UPDATED: Deputy fire chief rescues uncle from house fire in MA – couldn’t get to second uncle - STATTer911.com
- Photos: Fatal fire in Revere - BostonGlobe.com
MASSLive.com | By Fred Contrada | Photo Dave Roback - Northampton Fire Department has received three ultra-violet light emitters that can be used to sanitize ambulances, fire apparatus, office areas and other spaces.
This light-weight equipment kills bacteria, virus and mold. It can be operated by remote control for safety. According to fire officials, staphylococcus, a common cause of food poisoning, occurs in fire stations. The antibiotic-resistant bacteria that can cause severe infections and is associated with approximately 19,000 deaths annually, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. read more...
Researchers Develop ‘Trauma Foam’ to Combat Internal Bleeding
BostonMagazine - The new technology may be able to extend life up to three hours. As a trauma surgeon and veteran of two wars, David King has seen his fair share of fatal injuries. But none have been more devastating than those he could have prevented. read more...
'I was like a ghost': Man recalls years awake but trapped in unresponsive body
TODAY.com - Born in South Africa in 1975, Martin Pistorius suddenly began to succumb to a mysterious illness when he was 12. After going home from school with a sore throat one day, he stopped eating, started sleeping almost constantly, and stopped communicating. He gradually began to lose control of his body. He was treated for both cryptococcal meningitis and tuberculosis of the brain — but no one really knew what was wrong. Doctors told his parents he was left with the mind of a baby and that they should take him home to die. But he lived on. Pistorius left the hospital but spent more than a decade at home and in day care centers unable to move or speak. His family was told he was unaware of the world around him, but he says he actually began to wake up a couple of years after he became ill. read more...
More Around The Web:
- Springfield man steals police cruiser, taunts officers over radio as he drives around city - MASSLive.com
- Husband of accused 'fire cult' arsonists ringleader speaks - FireRescue1.com
- More Massachusetts Health Plans to Cover Methadone - WGGB.com
- Police Use Firetruck For Enforcement Decoy - FIREGEEZER.com
- 1 dead in fire at Athol home - BostonGlobe.com
FIRE DEPARTMENT OF NEW YORK
Many injured in Fiery New York Commuter Train Crash
JEMS.com - A crowded commuter train slammed into a sport utility vehicle on the tracks at a suburban New York crossing and burst into flames, killing seven people, seriously injuring nearly a dozen others and sending hundreds of passengers scrambling for safety, authorities said.
Firefighter could lose job over T-shirt Slogan
FireRescue1.com - A judge has recommended the FDNY fire a firefighter for wearing an anti-affirmative-action T-shirt to work.
Get to Know: Firefighter Jonathan Logan
NYC.gov - What is your favorite part of your job? The best part of the job is training with people who are like-minded. It’s encouraging to know there are people out there who think like you; who want to serve like you; who have the same passions; who are concerned about others, not just themselves. read more...
PA firefighter slips falls from window
FireRescue1.com - A Munhall volunteer firefighter is on a road to recovery after he fell from a second-story window while fighting a fire last week. read more...
TX firefighter unaware back is on fire
STATTer911.com - A news chopper hovering above a Dallas, Texas house fire yesterday (Thursday) evening captured an incident that made for somewhat dramatic television but, in the end, didn’t seem to cause any harm.
Chief Killed, Engine Backs Over Him at LZ
FirstArrving.com - The fire chief of a rural Illinois fire department was killed Thursday afternoon after he was run over by a fire engine at the scene of a landing zone for a separate incident. read more...
CNN.com - The death toll from a TransAsia Airways plane crash rose to 40 on Saturday, authorities said, as details emerged that both engines lost power. Flight GE235 crashed into a river in Taiwan's capital, Taipei, shortly after takeoff Wednesday with 58 people on board.
Three others remain unaccounted for, while 15 people survived, authorities said. As crews search for the missing, more revelations emerged on what led to the tragedy. Pilots grappled with engine problems before the plane clipped a bridge and plunged into a river, Taiwan's aviation safety agency said. During the crisis in the cockpit, the pilots received a series of alerts, starting with an alarm related to one of the engines and followed by five stall warnings as the plane lost thrust. read more...
- Plane hits bridge, crashes into river - WCVB.com
- Taiwan pilots 'lost thrust in one engine, restarted the other - Reuters.com
SAFFiR undergoes testing aboard the Naval Research Laboratory's ex-USS Shadwell | Photo U.S. Navy
Firefighting Robot Will Save Our Lives One Day
Time.com - More than 100 firefighters died while on duty in 2013, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency. So replacing human firefighters with robots makes lots of sense — and that’s exactly what scientists at Virginia Tech, along with the U.S. Navy, are trying to do with SAFFiR, short for Shipboard Autonomous Firefighting Robot. read more...
Energizer debuts recycled batteries
BostonGlobe.com - Billions of discarded household batteries make their way into landfills every year and now one of the nation’s largest battery makers says it is putting some them to good use. read more...
PAYING IT FORWARD
Firefighters Return To Finish Shoveling Heart Attack Victim's Driveway
HuffingtonPost.com - On Sunday, an elderly man had a heart attack while shoveling his driveway in Greenfield after a winter storm dropped a foot of snow in the area, NBC's "Today" reported. The Greenfield Fire Department responded to the emergency call and successfully got the man to the hospital. Afterward, they returned to finish the job he started.
Instead Of Charging Him For Shoplifting, Officer Helps Single Dad Feed His Baby
HuffingtonPost.com - Roby, an officer with the London Police Department in Kentucky, responded to a routine call for shoplifting on Saturday, Jan. 17, but couldn't bear to put the suspect in handcuffs. He ended up helping him instead.
Light snow today will give way to heavier snow tonight into Monday night, when travel will become difficult due to low visibility and snow covered roads.
- Current Massachusetts Watches, Warning + Advisories - National Weather Service
- Winter Storm Marcus: Northeast Snowstorm Continues (FORECAST) - The Weather Channel
- Winter Storms + Extreme Cold Info - Ready.gov
- Are you prepared? It's easy to build an emergency kit! - FIREGROUND360°