Giant Toxic Cloud Hangs Over Spanish Town After Explosion
BBC.com - A massive orange cloud forced tens of thousands of people inside after an accident at a Spanish chemical factory. Three people were injured when products at a factory in the town of Igualda in north east Spain became mixed on Thursday. More than 60,000 people in Igualda and four nearby towns were told to stay indoors with the windows shut. Footage from locals captures the cloud, which included nitric acid and ferric chloride, causing the cloud's bright colour. read more...
February 13, 2015 | By DAVID RAINVILLE | Recorder Staff
Recorder.com | GREENFIELD - The local fire chief, along with emergency responders from across western Massachusetts, have packed their bags and headed east to help the Boston area get rid of the snow that’s buried it this month. While recent storms have dumped about 2 feet of snow on Franklin County, Boston and nearby communities have gotten more than 6 feet. The Northwestern Mass. Incident Management Team was asked by the state to help coordinate the multi-state assistance. They’ve been dispatching dozens of trucks and heavy equipment from a staging area in the MassPort side of Hanscom Air Force Base in Bedford. While the snow in Franklin County has been inconvenient for many, the snowfall in Boston has been incapacitating, even shutting down the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority’s train and bus service. “(In Shelburne) it snowed about 4 1/ 2 inches Saturday night into Sunday, and my son (in Boston) told me they had a fresh 31 inches of snow when it finished,” said Angus “Terry” Dun, deputy leader of the Northwestern Mass. Incident Management Team. read more...
- LIVE BLOG NWMIMT Deployment Hanscom Field Staging Area - Radio Chatter
February 13, 2015 at 2:11 PM | By Patrick Johnson | firstname.lastname@example.org | Follow on Twitter
MassLIVE.com | PALMER - The fire that killed a 53-year old woman and displaced 33 residents from 20-unit apartment at 1047 Pleasant St. was started by a candle in the basement apartment of the woman who died, according to officials. In a joint statement issued by Hampden County District Attorney Anthony D. Gulluni, state Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan, Palmer Fire Chief Alan J. Roy, and Police Chief John J. Janulewicz, the deceased was identified as Christine Grinaski, a resident of 1047 Pleasant St. Grinaski, who lived in a basement studio apartment, never made it outside after being overcome by smoke, according to the statement. read more...
- Palmer Structure Fire Photo Gallery - MassLIVE.com
AZ firefighter proves cancer was job-related
AZ Daily Sun | EMS1.com - It had been eight months since Travis Powell was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphatic Leukemia, a cancer of the blood, when he got a call. The woman on the other end of the line asked him if he was sitting down. After months of waiting, Powell was told that his worker’s compensation benefits claim had been approved. read more...
Firefighting student dies during icy river training
Toronto.CTVNews.ca - A 30-year-old man died during a firefighter training exercise in Hanover, Ont., on Sunday. Twelve students were taking part in a training exercise for ice and water rescue on the Saugeen River, approximately 180 kilometres northwest of Toronto. The exercise was part of a two-day certification course offered to firefighting students by a private firm based out of Newmarket. read more...
Firefighter honored 45 years after daring rescue
KWTX.com - A former Waco firefighter was honored Monday, almost 45 years after he ran inside a burning home two times to save two small children, and for the first time since the blaze, he met the two, who are now both grown women. In 1970 Ray Wells, who was then 26, left Waco Fire Station No. 9 and was on his way to Texas State Technical Institute after his shift when he saw black smoke billowing into the sky. read more...
Fire company threatens to 'walk out,' take gear
Courierpostonline.com - A custody battle over firefighting gear is brewing in Newfield, where a volunteer company's future is uncertain. The square-mile borough will not go without fire protection, according to Gloucester County public safety officials. Litigation between council and the fire company ended last month when the fire department lost an appeal in state court. "We did not close the department down. We did not stop them from getting calls from fires," said Mayor Donald Sullivan. "I really hope not everybody walks out the door." read more...
| || |
- Michigan man arrested for dialing 911 more than 100 times - FireRescue1.com
- Bystander moves cop car for firefighters heading to blaze - WIAT.com
- Fifty Shades of Grey fans urged to avoid injury and entrapment - EMS1.com
- Sixth arrest in Miss. arson 'fire cult' - FireRescue1.com